Instructions for Authors
Manuscripts submitted to ESRJ will only be considered if they have not been or not will be reproduced in the same extension and form in a different journal. Contributions falling into the following categories will be considered for publication:
* Regular Papers: Regular papers constitute most of the works published in ESRJ and contain original information (e.g. that has not been published, and is not being considered for publication elsewhere). There are no limitations to the lenght of regular papers, but we encourage authors to express their views in a concise manner. From our experience we have found that the shorter the paper, the better they are received.
* Brief Contributions: To be considered as a Brief Contribution, your manuscript must contain original information that may be more limited in lenght and scope than a Regular Paper. Sometimes authors wish to concisely share their research and may do so through a Brief Contribution, which should be limited to six (6) pages or less, including any figures.
* Comments, Praise, and Replies: Sometimes differences in opinions and views arise from published reasearch and the Earth Sciences community may benefit from open discussion. Sometimes an author´s outstanding contribution may be publicly praised, as a way to aknowledge the good work. Comments on and Praises to contributions as well as their Replies, should not exceed two (2) pages in lenght.
* Translations of Articles: There are many papers (specially classic papers) that represent momentous facts in the Earth Sciences history. Some other important articles remain unknown to the Spanish-Speaking or English-Speaking science communities because these articles are published in foreign languages. Translations of articles may be submitted to ESRJ provided that written authorization of original publishers is obtained.
With the exception of Comments, Praises, and Replies, all submissions must contain the following parts:
* NAME(S) OF AUTHOR(S). Please underline the name of the corresponding author.
* ABSTRACT. Should not exceed 300 words. A list of key words must appear following the abstract.
* AUTHORS´CONTACT INFORMATION. Please provide contact information that includes: Affiliation, e-mail, physical address, telephone, and fax numbers.
* APPENDIX. (If any).
If a manuscript falls in the Brief Contribution category, the following sections may be joined:
* DATA AND METHOD.
* DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS.
All submissions will undergo peer-review by experts in the subject area being considered. Usually two reviewers are assigned, one of them may be a local scientist.
Potential Reviewers of your Manuscript
ESRJ mantains a data base of reviewers and experts in various disciplines of Earth Sciences. To speed up the process of review, however, we request that the author suggests at least four (4) potential reviewers for their work. The list of potential reviewers should contain full contact information and must be included along with the submission for consideration in ESRJ. Suggested reviewers must fulfill the following requisites:
* MS or Ph.D academic degree in a discipline related to the work under consideration.
* Scientific production (publications) during the last two years.
* Preferably affiliated with an institution that is different from that of the author.
To guarantee high standars and ethics during the review process, the Editorial Board of ESRJ reserves the right of sending manuscripts to those reviewers whom we consider appropriate.
We encourage submission of manuscripts via e-mail in Ms. Word format. Optionally, authors may submit their works as hard copies. In this case we request three (3) copies of the manuscript. After the reviewing process is completed and the paper is accepted for publication, a digital form of the manuscript will be requested for editing and final minor modifications prior to publishing.
The process of your submitted manuscript
Once your manuscript has been classified as submitted by the Editor, ESRJ will seek reviewers for the work. If two reviewers are found, then ESRJ will e-mail you with an update. Usually we allow reviewers 3-4 weeks for returning comments to ESRJ (first round of review). Once both reviewers have sent their comments back to us, we will contact the authors and provide them with the evaluation forms (filled out by the reviewers) and any additional comments and suggestions that we receive. Because we are a growing Journal, we need to keep an eye on deadlines, and we strongly encourage authors to incorporate the reviewers´comments and send their revised work as soon as possible. Please attach a letter (e-mail is acceptable) indicating your responses to the comments of both reviewers. After receiving the revised manuscript from the authors, ESRJ will contact both reviewers again to request a (hopefully) final review (second round). The final review should not take longer than the first round, and usually we allow reviewers 1-2 weeks to send their final comments (if any) along with a note stating their recommendation/rejection of the manuscript for publication. ESRJ will contact the authors as soon as comments are received.